Monday, May 2, 2011

Chapters 13, 15, and 16 Posts

Chapter 13:
1. Are you exposed to popular culture from other countries? Why or why not? Give some examples. I believe I am exposed to popular culture from different countries, but I think I just do not realize it. I know one popular culture that is from another country and that is the dance workout known as Zumba. I like it because it helps your body move around and work the cardio and lose weight. Another is that it feels like I am at a night club dancing with other people around me and just having fun. I have looked at some of the websites and videos of people doing this workout program and they do this in the United States and in foreign countries as well.

2. Do you read international news? Why or why not? I do not read international news. The main reason is that I cannot understand some of the languages that put on the websites of the international news stations and their newspapers. But also, I try to keep my focus on the things that are going on here in our own country because I like to know the facts that go on here in the United States. But I do think that it is my duty to start reading some of the international news that could possibly be printed on the local newspapers that are distributed in towns and cities that are here in the U.S.

Chapter 15:
1. What are your main concerns or criticisms about the state of media studies at your college or university? I do not have a lot of concerns or criticisms about the media courses here at my school, but I do have one little concern about it. I always wondered if one media course was about horror movies and one of the students became a complete psychopath and started killing people on campus just that he could make a point about some theory about horror movies. I saw something like that happen in a movie, and that could not possibly happen, but what if that really did happen? But I have to say that some of our media courses here are outstanding classes and that the professors know what they are teaching to the students.

2. One charge that has been leveled against a lot of media research-both the effects and the cultural models-is that it has very little impact on changing our media institutions. Do you agree or disagree, and why?
I agree to this. Mainly because that there are a lot of cultural models that will affect the media institutions and that it can be hard to change on some of the things that go on the world. I think that impacts to the media institutions would help things move along in the world.

Chapter 16:
1. Have you ever had an experience in which you thought personal or public expression went too far and should be curbed? Explain. How might you remedy this situation? I might not have had an experience but I do believe that personal or public expression can get too far when giving out news or gossip. One thing that I do not like is the personal expression is about someone that I am very close to and would hurt me very bad to hear something like that going on during the news. I believe that personal or public expression should be curbed, especially if it is spreading false statements about people and it ends hurting them and giving them bad credit. That kind of stuff would hurt their reputation with the public and make them lose the respect that they had.
4. Who is Judith Miller? Should the United States have a federal shield law to protect reporters? Judith Miller is a Pulitzer Prize-winning American journalist. She was later involved in the disclosing of Valerie Plame's identity as a CIA agent. She spent three months in jail for claiming reporter's privilege and refusing to reveal her sources in the CIA leak. I believe that the United States should have a federal shield law that would protect reporters, but the reporters should be required to give their sources if their stories involve a murder or a very serious crime. The police should have the information that could help them catch the bad guy behind the crimes but if the reporter had stories that were about embezzling money for different companies, then they should have the shield laws protect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment